Swirls and Ripples Poured Painting

Swirls and Ripples is a poured painting of the koi fish we once had in our pond.  They were always delightful and entertaining.  Some of the fish had individual personalities, well sort of.  Really it was the biggest who would surface first for the food offering.

Swirls and Ripples poured painting by Helen Shideler

I really enjoy the process of producing a poured painting.  You really need to start with a fairly good drawing as the lines and details will soon get lost in the masking compound and puddling paint.

WIP Swirls and Ripples by Helen Shideler

After i have the drawing where you want it, you carefully start to apply the mask to the places where you want to preserve the whites.  Once dry, I will typically spray the painting with a good mist of water before I apply the paint.  Sometimes I will pour on only one colour at a time.  But I do like the way the paint mixes wet in wet.  I make that decision based on the image and what I am looking to accomplish with the pour.

WIP Swirls and Ripples

And after a few pours it starts to look like this

WIP Swirls and Ripples

Helpful hint

Use a rubber cement pick up rubber to remove the masking compound.  Makes a huge difference.

With the masking compound removed the under painting is complete.  TIme to refresh some of the colours, add in some brushwork to sharpen the details and then sign it!

WIP Swirls and Ripples

A diversion, distraction, digression ... you get the idea

I am currently working on another large painting with water soluble oils. This is still a foreign concept to me - I mean the waiting thing between the layers.

And so, to fill in time frow all the waiting, I am also painting a full sheet watercolor of my Japanese Quince bush - large, lots of detail and almost monochromatic.

Somewhere between lost patience and working so intently on a large pieces, I found the need to, well, digress.  I have been curious about pouring paint and using a masking compound (hate them).  I started a doodle of sorts of my koi fish named "hoover" - mixed little pans of colors and dove in without really a clue what I was doing.

The masking stuff - well in addition to being sticky and difficult to apply with any accuracy, it stinks - I mean really smells bad. Smells worse than nail polish remover! But I persevered.  Layer of paint - hair dryer - mask - layer of darker paint - hair dryer - mask.... and rub, erase, rub some more, erase some more.  And then I got to tidy it up with a brush.

Overall I really like the batik quality of this little painting - and - from a distance, it almot looks like I knew what I was doing!  And you know, I had lots of fun. So now back to the studio!