Sunshine and Shadows floral painting

This sunshine filled floral painting makes me happy.  It's funny, whenever I think I am finished a painting I will often have self doubt.  That was the case with this one.  I decided to set it aside for awhile and went upstairs to start supper.  When I went back into the studio it stopped me in my tracks.  It was as luminous as I had hoped to capture! And the yellows so sunny. 

Sunshine and Shadows by Helen Shideler.jpeg

Poured or sprayed paintings

I approached this painting slightly differently by spraying the paint onto the wet surface.  I actually thought that it may be less messy. Boy, was I wrong.  The coloured mist went everywhere. All over my drafting table, the floor and my hands were unbelievable!  I went pack to pouring quite quickly.  The colour saturation seemed to be diffused as well - not at all the look I was going for.  I may say the spray bottles for a misty day painting another time.

Getting the gunk off

WIP Sunshine & Shadows by Helen Shideler.jpeg

The underpainting revealed

FB6BAE87-BE5C-4596-8B4B-EA21D8DF9C92.jpg

When you remove the masking compound you also remove a certain amount of the paint you applied.  Sometimes the underpainting is filled with drama at the reveal stage.  Most of the time you have to go back in with some strategic brushwork to make the painting come alive.  Once the centre of the flowers were painting in it really started to take shape.  

Yellow is an interesting colour to pour.  It behaves differently than expected.  Or maybe if was because it was the layer of paint that I sprayed on?  The luminous quality I was trying to achieve was flat.  Some very quick brushwork brought it back to life.

Helpful hint

I use a rubber cement pick up to remove the mask picture to the side.  Shown in the wrapper, before use and after use.

 

Florabundance- finally finished!

Feeeling pretty good about this piece. This watercolor painting of white azaleas seemed to take forever.  I thought it was completed a few days ago. Then I got looking at it with eyes all squinty.  I had to go back in with rose dore and push back some petals - they needed more distinction between them. And then later I got looking at it and went back in to sharpen up some of the shadows.  I am re-thinking my white floral series - this is tricky work. I have one more I have to do... actually two more... then I will be looking for some more intense colors to work with!

Lighter Shade of Pale - Completed

This commissioned watercolor painting of white-ish roses is now complete.  I did the usual staring at it for while - then adjusted some of the background by lightening some areas and intensifying the colors in others.  Then I did a color balance check and deepened some of the shadows in the  roses. This rose-bush grows at the back corner of our garden.  The flowers are ivory-white and, as the age, they get pinkish. By the end of the summer they are  really pink and much less white. So happy there are lovely - as they are a thorny mess to prune or get close to.  Even sniffing or photographing them can be hazardous to your fingers and nose!