I am currently working on another large painting with water soluble oils. This is still a foreign concept to me - I mean the waiting thing between the layers.
And so, to fill in time frow all the waiting, I am also painting a full sheet watercolor of my Japanese Quince bush - large, lots of detail and almost monochromatic.
Somewhere between lost patience and working so intently on a large pieces, I found the need to, well, digress. I have been curious about pouring paint and using a masking compound (hate them). I started a doodle of sorts of my koi fish named "hoover" - mixed little pans of colors and dove in without really a clue what I was doing.
The masking stuff - well in addition to being sticky and difficult to apply with any accuracy, it stinks - I mean really smells bad. Smells worse than nail polish remover! But I persevered. Layer of paint - hair dryer - mask - layer of darker paint - hair dryer - mask.... and rub, erase, rub some more, erase some more. And then I got to tidy it up with a brush.
Overall I really like the batik quality of this little painting - and - from a distance, it almot looks like I knew what I was doing! And you know, I had lots of fun. So now back to the studio!